Tuesday 24 April 2012

Hope

Hope is the thing with feathers
That perches in the soul,
And sings the tune--without the words,
And never stops at all,

And sweetest in the gale is heard;
And sore must be the storm
That could abash the little bird
That kept so many warm.
I've heard it in the chillest land,
And on the strangest sea;
Yet, never, in extremity,
It asked a crumb of me.

~ Emily Dickinson

This is a favourite poem of mine. Mainly because I wish I could have written it myself (I may have fooled some of you as you started reading and didn't see the 'Emily Dickinson' at the end!) but also because it reminds me of this bible verse...

"In his great mercy he has given us new birth into a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead." ~ 1 Peter 1:3b

And then this one...

"Faith is being sure of what we hope for, certain of what we cannot see." ~ Hebrews 11:1 (I know a song for that one!)

And it's true. Hope is that little constant, quiet thing that frequently goes completely unnoticed. Often people underestimate it. But if there is even the slightest hope of something, then with God that hope is like dynamite. It can blow this world apart.

xo

p.s. A prayer request for a dear friend who is really struggling with some pretty intense stuff at the moment, that I will have the right words to say. Thanks :)


1 comment:

  1. Oh, this is one of my favorite poems!
    Hope is the thing with feathers . . .

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing what you have to say.
What do you think of my blog?
Any suggestions?

Your comments make my happy <3