Friday 13 April 2012

Restless

For anyone that knows me well, you'll know that I'm pretty into Switchfoot, along with my gorgeous friends.

Switchfoot do some pretty INSANE stuff, but one of my all time favourite songs of theirs is called 'Restless'.

Here is a link to the video of the song, and I want you to try and listen to the words really carefullly and not just stare at certain band members who have a mysteriously dark and unbelievably 'perfect-man-of-God' kind of appeal *jon foreman* and then we will discuss this further.

Go on... I'll wait.

All done? It's pretty, epic huh?

My favourite bit? Oh, well thanks for asking. It's a tough question but it would have to be the humungously insane drum build up... 'With every heartbeat all of my blood bleeds, running inside me, looking for you. Looking for yoooou. Looking for yooooou. Looking for yoooou. Looking for yoo-oo-oou. *budahdahdahdahdahdahdahBOOM* I am RESTLESS!'

SO good.

But the message of the song really encapsulates how I feel right now. I never want to get to a stage where I am comfortable with the tiny eensy-weensy bit of God that I know right now and not hunger for more. I never want to sit back and think 'That's probably enough for now'. Instead, I want to have a constant restlessness inside of me that's 'longing for the deeper ground'.

I want to spend every day adventuring further into who God is, his character, and his heart for his people.

1 Corinthians 13:9-12 says, 'Now our knowledge is partial and incomplete, and even the gift of prophecy reveals only part of the whole picture! But when the time of perfection comes, these partial things will become useless. When I was a child, I spoke and reasoned like a child. But when I grew up, I put away childish things. Now we see things imperfectly, like puzzling reflections in a mirror, but then we will see everything with perfect clarity. All that I know now is partial and incomplete, but then I will know everything completely, just as God now knows me completely.'



This passage is particularly relevant for me today, as I had an optician's appointment and found out that I need glasses for reading off the board in class, driving (when I get round to taking lessons!), reading off screens (like in Chapel every morning), watching TV, working on the computer etc etc... It's strange how until we see the complete and perfect form of something, we don't really realize how incomplete it was before. As soon as the guy started slotting lenses into those (highly attractive!) glasses I could suddenly see more and more of the letters on the screen.

On a much MUCH bigger scale, this is what it is like with God. The more we find out about him, the more we look back and think 'And I really thought I was starting to get to know him THEN?'.



Only in heaven will we truly get to know the whole of God, but until then, I think it's the most incredible adventure ever to discover more and more about our God, Creator of the universe, who loves each one of us uniquely.

Have a very blessed day <3


2 comments:

  1. This is so cool! :) (I would think so...I AM RESTLESS!) xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing post Eve! Love the phonetic build up .....budahadahadahadahadaBOOM! :-D And your hair looks BLOND in the first picture!! Beautiful eyes. I like the glasses-perspective analogy. x x

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing what you have to say.
What do you think of my blog?
Any suggestions?

Your comments make my happy <3