Friday 3 June 2011

Ramblings of a Wanna-be Chic European

Today I went to a traditional Belgian market. The boys went off kayaking for the day, and took the car with them, which I must admit, posed a slight dilemma. However, God provided and we met a friend at the market who was able to give us a lift onto camp, so that me and Mother could run some errands, and then drop us home.

While at the market, I treated myself to some fabric! I bought four different kinds at 5€ a metre, which didn't seem to be too shabby to me. Whether or not I ever get round to making something with it, remains to be seen.


I also did something really rather reckless; I bought my first orchid. My mother has several dotted around the house, but this one I can now fully claim as my own. I used my very own 8€ to pay for it, and I have every intention of taking it back to school. The slight snag, however, is that I'm traveling back to school by train! Therefore, if on Sunday evening, you happen to be traveling by train and see a lunatic teenager with her equally mentally-unstable younger brother, several bags, an orchid, crazy hair, a frantic gleam in her eyes and a wild expression on her face, don't be afraid to come and say hi! I'd be happy to have a chat...

I do wish I had the elegance and poise of one of those wonderfully chic French women. You know the ones with the big sunglasses and the neat neck-scarf, carrying bags of groceries, and baskets of flowers, and dogs and breadsticks? Yet they look like they're merely carrying a small feather. HOW is that humanly possible?! The effortless expression on their faces is positively enviable and the grace with which they carry four tonnes of 'essential' items strikes any of us mere mortals with complete and utter awe! Do you think they take lessons in 'How to be a chic French woman' before they're are allowed to go out in public. If anyone sees any advertisements for these lessons, then PLEASE let me know!

Finally, fabulous French fashionistas aside, I wanted to express to you, my adoration for the colour blue. Blue in general is a wonderful colour, but particularly sky blue. Many people associate blue with sadness, as in 'feeling blue', however I feel that this is an entire misinterpretation of the colour blue, and if I was 'blue' than I would be horrified! Blue, to me, is a sign of peace, tranquility, joy, hope, calm, purity, freshness, anticipation, intensity, conventional masculinity, generosity, delicacy, and so much more!

I will now leave you with a few examples of blue that have brightened my day recently... And also a few pictures from the market, and a glorious Belgian Patisserie...
God bless,
Eve xxx


 The serviette holder in a cafe yesterday.


 The beautiful blue sky of Belgium.


The bikes that we rode on yesterday.


 One of the clothes' stalls at the market. There appeared to be a disturbing amount of leopard print around...


 A profiterole mountain!


This glorious little Patisserie had so many intricate colours and details that I just had to share it with you!


P.S. I also urge you, that next time you see the colour blue being misused, that you would think about how it would feel if you were blue. Just take a moment out of your day and stand up for the rights of all things blue. And don't forget to keep your eyes peeled for 'How to be a chic French woman' classes. Thanks for reading :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing what you have to say.
What do you think of my blog?
Any suggestions?

Your comments make my happy <3