Wednesday 16 January 2013

A sudden epiphany

So alongside my internship, I'm also doing some work towards two accredited theology modules. These modules are (in very simple terms) looking at the place of the church in the modern city.

One of the readings we had to do was Psalm 46, and then it just absolutely hit me. 'God is our Strength and Refuge' is my favourite hymn. Maybe it's because my Dad is military and the song is set to the Dam-busters theme tune, I'm not sure, but I just love it. It's that one where everyone knows it, and they all start singing, and there are all these massive organ moments and the congregation is just alive.

So I leave you with the very powerful, awe-inspiring, hope-filled words of Psalm 46, about a City which I will one day be a citizen of...

God is our refuge and strength,
an ever-present help in trouble.
Therefore we will not fear,
though the earth give way and the mountains fall into the heart of the sea,
though its waters roar and foam and the mountains quake with their surging.
There is a river whose streams make glad the city of God,
the holy place where the Most High dwells.
God is within her, she will not fall;
God will help her at break of day.
Nations are in uproar, kingdoms fall;
he lifts his voice, the earth melts.
The LORD Almighty is with us; the God of Jacob is our fortress.
Come and see the works of the LORD, the desolations he has brought on the earth.
He makes wars cease to the ends of the earth;
he breaks the bow and shatters the spear, he burns the shields with fire.
"Be still, and know that I am God;
I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth."
The LORD Almighty is with us; the God of Jacob is our fortress.

(The italics are my favourite bits!)

Oh wow.

6 comments:

  1. This is such a powerful Psalm!

    So you are doing a part-time degree alongside your internship? Soon you'll be able to cross that off your bucket list!

    What are your plans for the future?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Incredible, huh?!
      Yes, I'm taking some modules in an online scheme, which are hard work to fit in around normal working hours, but the content is starting to get interesting now :) Yes! Always exciting to tick things off!
      At the moment I am having to decide which university I want to go to next year. This is a tough decision because - thank you Jesus - I have offers from top unis, and I'm finding it very hard to decide between two of them... Exeter or Durham?!
      A post will most likely follow on this matter, so watch this space!
      Thank you for all your comments :)

      Delete
    2. So exciting! They are both great unis, do you know which you'll choose yet? (Though I'd be inclined to advise against Durham as it's so tiny, there's pretty much nothing there!)
      Have you any thoughts of after uni, or will you just see where God takes you?
      And no problem! I love discovering other people that I share so much with!
      xx

      Delete
    3. I literally have no particular inclination either way at the moment, because there are so many positives about both, and hardly any negatives! Hopefully God will make things clearer once I've been to visit Durham though :)
      Seeing where God takes me, but there are a few things I'd really like to do... Travelling is a big one, and I think I'd like to do some teaching, but probably not as a long term career. I think I see myself more doing administration type stuff in some kind of charity, and other kinds of volunteer work. Plus get married and have kids, obviously! ;) How about you?
      I so appreciate your interest!! :) xx

      Delete

I love hearing what you have to say.
What do you think of my blog?
Any suggestions?

Your comments make my happy <3