Wednesday 2 January 2013

To create

'Create' was one of the words in close contention with 'up' to be my word of the year.

I got a beautiful new sewing machine for Christmas. The brand is Janome, so I have lovingly named him Jimone. He's coming back with me as I continue my internship after Christmas, and I plan to use him A LOT! There are so many things I want to sew and stitch this year. So I thought, what better way to be held accountable to my desires than to write it on here? Then you guys can all follow the ups and downs of attempting to create my first quilt, my first skirt, more clothing improvements, stitching on card etc etc.

So here is a little list of material-istic dreams (see what I did there?) for this year...

1. Make my first ever quilt. The fabric and batting is already cut and ready... just needs stitching together. Easier said than done, I fear.

2. Make a Skirt. I have several bits of fabric that I have been saving just for this purpose for over a year now. I just need to stop procrastinating and get to it!

3. Make greeting cards by sewing onto card. I love the little fabric designs you can make flat to stitch onto card, so it's high time I tried it out myself.

4. You know when you buy a piece of ribbon or something and think 'ooh that would look great on that top I have!'? This is my life. So I have lots of ribbons, and lots of ribbon-less tops. Now to do something about that.

5. I got some beautiful fabric for christmas that is begging to be made into something. I also have a round cushion that needs a cover. Oh wait a second! Oh yes... Could they go... together?! My match-making skills know no bounds. Watch out...!

6. Knit a jumper. This is the one I'm most scared about. This involves a pattern and I am terrible at using patterns. I don't use them for sewing, and I avoid recipes if at all possible for cooking. I prefer to be a 'free spirit' when it comes to making things. Mistakes are all put of the fun of it. However, a hole-y jumper is not much fun when you get a cold elbow and belly button.

7. Organise my craft things. My room is just a crafty person's dream, but also a terrible mess. There are bags of fabric, and tins of ribbons, and folders of cardstock, and boxes of buttons, and pots of pins and a million piles of pretty clothes labels or luggage tags or travel tickets which I save in the vain hope that I'll one day get round to making them into something. At least I'm hopeful, right? By the end of the year, I'm going to have a clear out, and be very realistic about what I'm actually going to use, and what I'm not.

This is why I need to get back into being creative again. I took this photo for my A-level photography and
it took forever to get. I had to sit by this flower for about 15 minutes. But it was so worth it!

Well seven seems like a nice number to end on. So there we are. My seven material-istic dreams. Can I do it? We're about to find out...!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing what you have to say.
What do you think of my blog?
Any suggestions?

Your comments make my happy <3